Jake Hertzog is a critically-acclaimed guitarist, composer and educator whose music transcends genres ranging from jazz and jazz/rock to contemporary classical. His many projects include the Jake Hertzog Trio, guitar duos in jazz and classical music, solo guitar with multimedia, quartets, and music for large ensemble as a soloist.
Jake is on faculty at the University of Arkansas and is available for numerous educational workshops and artist-in-residency engagements.
Jake Hertzog Trio East Coast with Harvie S and Richie Morales
Jake Hertzog Trio Midwest with Drew Packard and Chris Teal
Jake Hertzog Band with Special Guest Ingrid Jensen (Quartet)
Well Lit Shadow - Solo Guitar Performance with Multi-Media
tringscapes - Contemporary Guitar Duo featuring Yishai Fisher
ake Hertzog and Jumpy Juarez - Modern Jazz Duo
Master classes and workshops:
Jake Hertzog (solo) or with a group
Jake Hertzog and Jumpy Juarez - Jazz Master Classes
Live Videos from The Triad Theater NYC!
Jake Hertzog is a critically acclaimed guitarist, composer and educator whose career to-date has spanned nine albums as bandleader across jazz, rock and classical new music styles. He has toured throughout the U.S., Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and India and performed and recorded with a diverse cadre of artists including Randy Brecker, Ivan Neville, Mike Clarke, Blondie Chaplin, Anton Fig, Corey Glover, Barry Altschul, Dave Leibman, Ingrid Jensen and many others.
Hertzog's many projects have included the Jake Hertzog Trio with Harvie S and Victor Jones — a jazz/rock group that has released five albums to wide acclaim and radio success and headlined venues such as The Blue Note in New York and Salo Jazz Festival in Finland.
Most recently, Hertzog released "Well Lit Shadow" (2016), a classical suite for solo electric guitar celebrating themes and images in particle physics. Another of his classical projects, "Stringscapes" for two guitars, was partially premiered in New York in 2016 and is set for recording later this year co-featuring guitarist Yishai Fischer.
Jake is co-leader and co-songwriter of the rock band The Young Presidents with bassist Mitch Kaneff. Their latest album, Firehorse (2016) has just debuted to wide radio success. In 2014 The Young Presidents collaborated with brilliant Grammy winning producer Rob Fraboni on a guest vocalist album called Coalition. The record featured such legendary talent as Ivan Neville, Corey Glover (Living Colour), Blondie Chaplin (The Rolling Stones, Beach Boys), and Anton Fig (Drummer for the Letterman Show) and members of the New Your Philharmonic and Metropolitan Orchestras. The Young Presidents also produced a short documentary on the making of the project entitled "Building The Coalition" that premiered at New York's VisionFest Film Festival in June 2013.
For three years, Jake stood as musical director and lead guitarist for Nickelodeon's The Naked Brothers Band stars, Nat and Alex Wolff. They concluded two national tours and have performed on national television shows including Good Morning America, The View, Nickelodeon's Kids Choice Awards and The Today Show.
An active music educator, in 2016 Jake joined the music faculty at the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. Recent master classes and clinics include Jazz at Lincoln Center, Jazztravaganza at the Clarion Performing Arts Center in Lake Jackson, Texas, Turku Conservatory in Finland, EMU Conservatory in Argentina, Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, WA., Women In Jazz in Halle, Germany and a faculty position at the Swarnhaboomi Academy of Music in Chennai, India. Under the alias Hey Jazz Guy, Jake contributed over 30 articles to Guitar Player magazine’s ‘Lessons’ section. Guitar Player has coined him the “Jazz ambassador to the non-jazz world”. Readers can visit the Official Hey Jazz Guy website for articles and tutorial videos.
Hertzog is a grand prize winner of the Montreux Jazz Guitar Competition, holds a performance degree from Berklee College of Music and a master's degree from The Manhattan School of Music in New York.
Notable Past headlining Performances
Montreux Jazz Festival - Switzerland
Salo International Jazz Festival - Finland
Edinburgh Guitar & Music Festival - Edinburgh, Scotland
World Music Festival - Hyderabad, India
NAMM 2014 - Anaheim, CA
Ellnora Guitar Festival - Champaign, IL
Montauk Music Festival - New York, NY
The Blue Note - New York, NY
Iridium - New York, NY
Scullers - Boston, MA
Herr Nilsen - Oslo, Norway
On The Rocks - Helsinki, Finland
Windmills - Bangalore, India
The Bitter End - New York, NY
55 Bar - New York, NY
Jazz Kitchen - Indianapolis, IN
Nighttown - Cleveland, OH
Performing Arts Centers:
Malmitalo Hall - Helsinki, Finland
Caramoor Center for The Performing Arts - Katonah NY
The Clarion Theater - Lake Jackson TX
Krannert Center For The Performing Arts - Urbana, IL
The Triad Theater - New York, NY
Jake is a faculty member at The University of Arkansas and is available for workshops, clinics and artist-in-residence engagements. Educational offerings are available with and without an accompanying rhythm section. Jake has taught across the US, Europe, India, Latin America and The Middle East.
Recent workshops include:
Jazz at Lincoln Center
City University of New York
Jazztravaganza at the Clarion Performing Arts Center in Lake Jackson, Texas
Turku Conservatory in Finland
EMU Conservatory in Argentina
Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, WA.,
Women In Jazz in Halle, Germany
Swarnhaboomi Academy of Music in Chennai, India (Faculty, Spring 2013)
2017-18 Workshop Offerings:
Jazz Guitar In 2016
- Primarily for guitarists, focusing on techniques, sounds and sub-styles.
- Emphasis on modern harmonic material, chromaticism, and intervallic playing.
- Duo and trio playing.
- Contrast method of improvisational practice.
- Non-western approach to rhythm such as Indian rhythmic solfeggio and Arabic rhythms.
John (Coltrane) & Jimi (Hendrix)
- Lecture and interactive performance meant to offer tangible insight into two of the most influential musicians from the 1960's, Hendrix and Coltrane.
- Elements of their improvisational style are discussed and compared.
- Students will improvise on Hendrix/Coltrane music using techniques such as texture, free rhythm over time, chromatic superimposition and motivic development.
- Students will rediscover the influence of these artists, how to apply their ideas to their own playing.
- Focus on a particular student ensemble, either jazz big band, jazz combo or popular music ensemble.
- Workshop how to take performances of current material to the next level.
- Variations can focus on student compositions, classic repertoire, or instructor required material.
- Emphasis on group playing, performing for audience, emotional balance within the group and concert construction. Video recorded if possible.
The Contrast Method of Improvisation - Find Your Sound
- Introduces, demonstrates and teaches the contrast method of practicing improvisation.
- Introduces qualitative analysis of jazz solos.
- Students will learn the simple technique for self analysis and many organizational methods for improvising musical topics such as range, speed, register, melodic curve, time, harmonic conception and many more.
- Students will gain a new insight into how to build up originality as an improvisor in addition to improving their practice methods.
The Modular Approach
- Advanced improvisation workshop focusing on use of 3 note intervallic cells - "modules".
- Use of modules in diatonic and chromatic situations.
- Ways to build technique on wide intervals.
- Reharmonization, pedal point, and rhythmic patterns.
- Compositional techniques using modular theory.
THE Birth of Fusion
- Music history and performance workshop, tells the story of the birth of the jazz/fusion style from the perspective of rock and jazz icons, focusing on the pivotal years 1964-1970.